The foundations of the sanctuary of Hippolytus occupies a large area on the acropolis and was identified by Pausanias as the most conspicuous object in the city. The Troezenians worshipped Hippoytus as the constellation Auriga, and each virgin before her marriage dedicated a lock of her hair to him. (Eur. Hipp. 1424; Paus. 2.32.1.)
Excavations were carried out in the 1890's by the French School of Archaeology, and later by the German Archaeological Institute in 1932. Nothing much remains of the ancient town, and only a porton of the temple foundatin is currently visable. Tourist trafic to the site is rare since it is away from the main monument areas such as Corinth.