* Patrizia De Luca - Il Centro Storico di Taranto: l'Isola - Scorpione Editrice - Taranto, 2004
* Enzo Lippolis; Monica Liviadotti; Giorgio Rocco (2007). Architettura greca. Storia e monumenti del mondo della polis dalle origini al V secolo. Bruno Mondadori.
Taranto Poseidon 580 BC
The temple is situated on a small strip of land extending across the Taranto harbor entrance and located in the modern piazza Castello. It was of the Doric order and had 6 columns along the front and 13 on the long side. Only two columns remain, although a third column drum still survives. It is suggested that the column drums, because they were stacked without a central pin, indicate a construction date sometime in the Archaic period. Also, the capitals are very squat in appearance and tend to place the temple construction during that time frame. An even older temple dating to the 8th century BC once stood in its place but little remains of it, having been constructed of rough bricks and wooden entablature. That earlier structure probably consisted of a cella only, since there are not structural connections between its foundations and the later 6th century peripteral temple.
In the 10th century, the remains of the temple formed a Christian church, and then from the 14th century until recently, the temple was looted for construction in several religious structures including the Convent of the Celestines. It was during the renovation of the convent in 1729 that at least 10 columns were carded off, but all have since disappeared.