After they defeated Xerxes in the naval Battle of Salamis in 480 BC, the Athenians placed an entire captured enemy trireme (warship with three banks of oars) at Sounion as a trophy dedicated to Poseidon. The temple at Sounion was probably built in ca. 440 BC. over the ruins of an earlier temple dating from the Archaic Period. A total of 15 original columns still stand today. The Doric columns were made of locally quarried white marble.
The temple was a hexastyle peripteral structure with 13 columns on the long side, with a pronaos and opisthodomos each having two column in antes. The temple would have looked very much like the contemporary Temple of Hephaestus in Athens.
DODWELL, Edward. Views in Greece, from Drawings by Edward Dodwell Esq. F.S.A &c., London, Rodwell and Martin, 1819.
some text used from Wikipedia free encyclopedia