Di Vita, "Selinunte fra 650 e 409 a.C." Annuario della Scuola Archeologica Italiana di Atene vol. 42(1984-1986:7-68)
Gullini, G., "Il tempio E1 e l'architettura protoarcaica di Selinunte," Cronache di Archeologia vol. 17(1978:52-61).
The Doric style Temple 'C' (6 x 17 column configurateion) measured 24 x 63.7 metres along the peristyle and dates from 550 BC. It is the oldest of the Selinunte temple group. So far, fourteen of the north side columns have been re-erected, along with part of the entablature. The entrance consists of a portico with a second row of columns fronting the pronaos. Roughly the same floor plan as Temple 'F,' the naos is a long narrow structure that includes a pronaos and adyton at the rear with no opisthodomos. The columns are monolighic, some cut and shaped from a single stone. Unlike many of the later Classical Period structures, there is no entasis in the column spacing at the corners, although those columns have a diameter larger than the others.
The structure was originally investigated in the 1820's by two Englishmen, Harris and Angell. A number of metopes are on display at the Museo Archeologico di Palermo (a reconsturction of the best known being that of Athena, Perseus and the Gorgon Medusa, the originals held at the Alison Frantz Collection, American School of Classical Studies at Athens) and thought to have been displayed on the east facade of the building. In Temple 'C,' there appears to be a consolidation of state religion, as well as an epiphany of the great gods of Selinus as defined by the metope sculptures. Depicted on the metopes are the likes of Zeus, Ares, Heracles and Apollo, as well as Athene shown on the Perseus/Gorgon metope.
Temple C, dedicated to Apollo among others, is best known for its large pedimental gorgoneion and relief metopes featuring divine figures in the acts of mythological and heroic feats.