Plegaea is a fortifed town enclosing an Ancient Village or Settlement in Attica/Central Greece and situated at the foot of Mt. Kithaironnow and is now an archaeological site. It was the site of Greek victory against the Persians in 479 BC. Although it survived that battle, the city was destroyed during the Peloponnesian War (427 BC) and again later in 372 BC. There was Doric Temple dedicated to Hera which measured 50 metres by 17 metres and had 18 by 6 columns.
The site was excavated between 1889 and 1891 by the American School under F.B. Tarbell, J.c. Rolle, and C. Waldstein. Some parts of the perimeter of the fortifications, along with parts of some towers, still remain. A temple to Hera and a statue to her (Hera Teleia) is mentioned by Herodotus. The temple rests on the foundations of an earlier 6th century temple that was destroyed by fire. A statue of goddess Hera once stood within the earlier temple, a work by the sculptor Praxiteles. The foundations of the altar the Greeks built after the victorious battle with the Persians is also located here and erected to Zeus Eleutherious for his gift of freedom. This altar was built after an oracle in Delphi. Hera’s temple was located when the town was destroyed.