Kawerau, G., "Bericht uber den Wiederaufbay Zweier Saulen des Heraions in Olympia," AM 30(1905:157-172)
Yalouris, N. "Das Akroter des Heraions in Olympia," AM 87 (1972:85-98)
Kalpaxis, A.E., "Bemerkungen zu den innensaulen des Heraion von Olympia," AM 90(1975:83-96)
Sapirstein, Philip, "The Columns of the Heraion at Olympia: Dorpfeld and Early Doric Architecture" AJA 120, 4 (2016)
Olympia Hera 590 BC
Stylobate: 18.75 m x 50.01 m; axial spacing external columns: 3.56 m (3.33 m at corners); front column lower diameter: 1.20-1.29 m; side column lower diameter: 1-1.24 m.
There were 21 doric sytle capitals that have survived and vary in profile dating to the Archaic period, while others are from the early Classical period. There is no apparent grouping of certin period capitals but columns of different types are dispursed along the peristyle at random.
The temple to Hera at Olympia, also referred to as the Heraion, is the earliest monumental temple in Greece and ranks as the best specimens of archaic Doric temple architecture. The original columns were wood which gradually rotted over time and then replaced with stone. The profiles of the Doric column capitals varied according to the date of replacement. As late as the 2nd century AD, the traveler Pausanias saw one wooden column in the opisthodomos. In the cella there is a pedestal where the cult statue of Hera once stood. She was seated on her throne with Zeus standing along side her. Unfortunately, only the head of Hera has survived.
The lower part of the temple is made from local shell-limestone, while the walls were made of unbaked bricks. The temple was destroyed by an earthquake in the early 4th century AD and never rebuilt.