top of page

Cockerell, Charles Robert, The Antiquities of Athens, and Other Places in Greeece, Priestly & Weale, London, 1830

g. Rodenwaldt, Die Bildwerke des Artemistemples v. Korkya (1939)

H. Schleif et al., Der Arthemistemple-Korkra (1940)

Johnson, Franklin P. “The Kardaki Temple.” American Journal of Archaeology 40, no. 1 (1936): 46–54.

Dorpfeld, AA (1912), p 248; (1914), p 48

Woodward, Robert J., "An Architectural Investigation into the Relationship between Doric Temple Architecture and Identity in the Archaic and Classical Periods." 2012, Doctoral thesis.

DoricOrdertemplate2 copy.jpg

Kardaki  Poseidon ?  510  BC

Corfu is the second largest of the Ionian Islands and forms the northwesternmost part of Greece. The temple of Kardaki is situated at the base of Mt. Analipsis on the steep eastern coast of the peninsula of Ascension facing the sea, and is the most significant archaeological site on the island. The temple remains were first discovered in 1922 by a British engineer attempting to remove blockage from the Fountain at Kardaki and restore the flow of water.


The Doric temple dates back to  the Late Archaic period (510 BC) when Palaiopolis was as its peak. Johnson (AJA 1936) give the temple only 11 single-stoned columns on its wider side, although the reconstruction of the temple by Corkerell states the temple had 12 columns on the long side and 6 on its narrow sides.  The 12 column configuration would follow the statistical results since the w/l ratio is consistent with that greater number rather than 11. The discrepancy may be that only a portion of the western end of the structure remains, much of the eastern part of the temple washed down the embankment and into the sea. This Doric temple is small, the overall dimensions of the stylobate measuring 11.91 x 25.5 m. Each column straddles the two corresponding stylobate blocks below it. There appears to be no corner column contraction, perhaps because the triglyph/metope frieze was absent of any decoration. Dorpfeld (AA 1912) suggest the temple may be a copy of an earlier wooden prototype. In either case, the temple is considered to be the only Doric temple in Greece without a triglyph/metope frieze. Also unusual is the absence of either a porch or adyton.

I have given the temple dedication to Poseidon, although dedication to Apollo has also been suggested.

bottom of page