Richardson, R., AJA 10(1895:426)
Schefold, K., Archaeology 21 (1968:326)
Konstantinu, J., "Aus dem Eretriagiebel," AM 69/70(1954/55:41-44)
Auberson, P. Temple d'Apollon Daphnéphoros; architecture, c1968.
Eretria Apollo 530 - 490 BC
At the end of the nineteenth century, the Greek Superintendent of Antiquities, K. Kourouniotis, discovered the Temple of Apollo. The total dimensions of the stylobate are 47.80 x 20.55 meters. Although the temple was of the Doric order, this structure seems to follow in the Ionic traditions where the cella walls are aligned with the axes of the columns.
Almost nothing remains of the structure other than the stylobate and crepis. The late archaic temple was a peripteros of 6 x 14 Doric columns, distyle in antis, with pronaos and opisthodomos. Two rows of eight columns each stood in the cella, aligned with the central two columns of the facade. The late archaic temple repeats some of the characteristic features of the plan of the early archaic temple, for example the deep frontal colonnade and the relationship between the cella building and the peripteral columns.