Jean-Charles Moretti,, "Claros, le temple d'Apollon : travaux réalisés en 2012"
Jean-Charles Moretti, "Claros : Le temple d'Apollon et le fonctionnement de l'oracle"
Deborah N. Carlson and William Aylward, "The Kızılburun Shipwreck and the Temple of Apollo at Claros"
The temple of Apollo at Claros was built between the 4th and the 3rd century BC, probably on the site of an earlier sacred building. Modifications to the building were made during the reign of Emperor Hadrian. The Doric temple at Claros was only the second of this type built in what is now Turkey, the other being the Doric temple at Ilion.
The remains of Claros were completely covered by river sediments from a nearby stream. It wasn't until the early 20th century that Theodore Macridy arrived at Claros, using the information obtained from local shepherds, and work began to uncover the buildings belonging to this cult center. Together with Charles Picard, they began an in-depth study in 1913, but was forced to stop with the outbreak of the First World War.
The next round of excavations in Claros lasted from 1950 to 1961 under the leadership of Louis Robert. During these works, the actual temple of Apollo and a second one, dedicated to Artemis, were discovered. Moreover, the archaeologists also found monumental statues of Apollo, Artemis and Leto, the altars on the east side of the sanctuary, several inscriptions, a sundial and a stone seat. The third round of excavations, directed by Juliette de La Genière in 1988-1997, resulted in the unveiling of the altars of Apollo and Artemis from archaic and Hellenistic periods. The latest works in Claros, conducted by Nuran Şahin since 2001, continue to this day.