SUARÈS, André. Temples Grecs Maisons des Dieux. Illustré de quatorze eaux-fortes originales par Pierre Matossy [Paris, André Dantan, 1937].
Ernesto De Miro, La Valle dei Templi di Agrigento, 1986, p.8
Built in the last decades of the sixth century, temple A sits on a substructure meant to level the ground due to the roughness of the terrain, and thus has a crepidoma of three steps. It is a Hexastyle peripteros temple of unusually elongated proportions (67 metres long and 25.34 meters wide), with fifteen columns on the sides. The temple capitals exhibit a stiff-profiled echinus.
Inside the peristasis is a long naos, bounded by a pronaos at the front and an opisthodomos at the back, both in antis. There is a stairwells on either side of the entrance to the cella leading to an attic space. There were angle contraction on the fronts, but not on the sides of the temple. There have been some modifications to the naos, particularly that it was divided into three distinct sections, a result of a restoration begun in the Roman period. The remains of the temple seem to indicate the building may have been destroyed by an earthquake.